Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ask Rebecca

Recently, ChaCha from Ballet & More asked me about getting onto pointe, and strengthening yourself for it. Here is the comment:


Hi! :) I loved the bag post I am so going to use it! Speaking of pointe shoes... could you maybe do an article about pointe for Wednesday's Ballet? Like, on how to get onto pointe and how to strengthen your feet for it? Because my teacher said she wasn't sure whether or not I'd go on pointe in the near future, and I really want to go on! How can I strengthen myself so I can?


First of all, I myself am not on pointe yet. I don't think that I have told you that yet, but I am not. I am going into my second year of ballet. Please don't think that I was deceiving you with writing all of these articles with pointe in them, because I have a lot of friends who are on pointe, and I do A LOT of research. Second of all, I can't tell you how to get on pointe, and neither can any student who is on pointe. It is a matter of strength, and how ready your muscles are. I can tell you that I am very sure that I am going on pointe next year, so there's hope! And, I do have an article coming your way! I got someone who is on pointe to write one, just for you! And just because pointe isn't near, doesn't mean it's never gonna happen. If you went on pointe this coming up year, you would probably break your ankle and never be able to dance again. We don't want that to happen, do we? I felt the same exact way you felt, and still kind of feel that way. I really want to go on pointe. But I am also aware of the dangers of getting them too early. I spend my time in canvas shoes studying the care of pointe shoes, and pointe injuries, remedies, things like that. You can strengthen your ankles and calves by doing your daily routine, and Pointe Strengthening Exercises, the little things make HUGE changes. Keep up the good work!



If you have any questions, go ahead and ask, and I guarantee that they will be answered.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for answering!! And to answer your question, what to do about sore thighs, I like stretching by lying on my back, then put your left leg straight out while bending your right and bring it to your chest. Slowly pull and straighten out your leg. Make sure you really stretch it! And do it on the other side too! Toe touches are great too. Just make sure you stretch. Maybe soon I'll do an article on it in fact!

    ReplyDelete